Mellon Summer Research: Holy Cross Community Garden Project

June 19th, 2014 ctnguy15

Hello there, my name is Cindy Nguyen ’15, a Worcester native, and a double major in Political Science and Philosophy. This summer, I am honored to be part of the Mellon Summer Research Program, which allows me to conduct my very own research proposal—Operation: Holy Cross Community Garden. I am working with my research partner, Matthew Watson ’16, along with my two advisers: Michelle Sterk-Barrett, Director of the Donelan Office of Community-Based Learning and Andrea Borghini, Professor of the Philosophy Department.

June, 2012: I had the greatest time at a local farm in Galway, Ireland (truly an inspiration)!

Matt and I have one goal, but our interest differs. For me, the initiative was sparked from my desire and interest in social and political change, my Montserrat class, several inspirational professors and faculty members I have encountered on Mount Saint James, my passion for food, and my deep love for this city, good ole Worcester.

Growing up in Worcester, I have witnessed a community where stories from all over the world were being told and shared. Although there is a mixture of cultures, everyone shares one commonality: food.  Food gives each of us a connection with one another, which fosters relationships, whether it is sharing recipes or insights, or just coming together and having a meal. On the other hand, growing up in Worcester, I have a firsthand account of the lack of food, or the lack of sustainable and healthy food to be more specific. For instance, schools in low-income neighborhoods lack the ability to provide children and students a basic nutritious meal due to the lack of budget and funding.  Moreover, the growing number of soup kitchens, like the Mustard Seed, continues to have droves people in need at the door, revealing the alarming problem of food security in America. Then there is the lurking question of whether or not the lifestyle we are a part of is sustainable. With all of these technological advances, we begin to neglect our environment. We forget to ask basic questions. We forget to reflect. We forget that we belong to this world, and being part of this world we need to take care of it.

As all of my experiences begin to unfold in front of me, I have realized that there is something fundamentally important about this very topic of food and agriculture. For many philosophers from Socrates, to Aristotle, and to John Stuart Mill, our lowest pleasure that needs to be satisfied first, before we can pursue the higher pleasures, is our appetites.

For the last two and half years all these questions and thoughts have haunted me, which led me to volunteer for the Community Harvest Project; investigate my own community and Holy Cross Dining; create a student organization, Holy Cross Food Nation; and began to change my own lifestyle. However, despite my initiatives, I am still seeking to do more and to learn more. Thus, this summer research will be an extensive research on the benefits of having and maintaining a community garden, and the methods of establishing and cultivating it while adhering to the principles of sustainable agriculture. We are doing literature reviews, getting hands on experience through the Regional Environmental Council, and conducting interviews with other liberal arts colleges that have a community garden already established.

I truly believe that the creation of a community garden will serve as a symbol of self-sustainability, virtue, and union. This garden would be a constant reminder for the residents of Worcester, Holy Cross students, and faculty members of what society should strive towards when producing and consuming. It would also serve to nurture the relationship between environment and community, and help to develop interpersonal relationships among Worcester social groups. And most of all, this garden will only enhance students’ academic development, as the idea of food and agriculture covers a wide range of departments, such as Political Science, Philosophy, Biology, Economic, Anthropology , Environmental Studies, and many more.

For the next month and a half, I will be posting regularly (one to three times a week) on my research progression. I ask you, fellow crusaders and beyond, to join me on this journey. Until then keep the conversations going!

Very Best,

Cindy